30 Second Summary
- People usually feel panic in the face of adversity such as the one concerning an earthquake.
- High-rise buildings usually SWAY much, but there is less intensity in the way they SHAKE.
- The buildings shake less but sway much when the earthquake strikes. Therefore, those living in upper floors of a tall building experience slower movement of the building.
- Tall buildings offer maximum security from an earthquake jolt if the areas do not fall in the epicenter of an extremely powerful earthquake.
- Stay indoors and follow the preventive measures jotted down above.
People usually feel panic in the face of adversity such as the one concerning with an earthquake. And if you are living in a top floor of a high-rise building, you naturally feel scared for various reasons. First of all, the worry of not being able to get down on the ground and out in open immediately is what the residents of a top-floor apartment fear. To be precise, it is the height of the elevation from the ground surface level which is the major concern for residents of multistoried buildings during an earthquake.
What happens with a high rise building during an earthquake?
In the face of an earthquake, high-rise buildings usually SWAY much, but there is less intensity in the way they SHAKE. That said, the buildings shake less but sway much when the earthquake strikes. Therefore, those living in upper floors of a tall building experience slower movement of the building. It appears like you are in a cradle being gently swayed by someone.
What should you do before an earthquake?
- Choose any safe place inside the home like sturdy table or anything.
- Make sure the emergency survival kit/items are within your reach.
- Secure objects, especially the breakable ones.
- If you have your house covered under insurance, make sure it is updated.
What should you do during an earthquake? What are the survival measures to be exercised during an earthquake?
- Get the real picture: You may perhaps be not aware of this, but buildings respond to the tremor of an earthquake differently based on principle of how they were constructed in accordance with the standard quake-norms. In this respect, tall buildings are the most secure place to be in. High-rise apartments are designed to endure lateral loads from the quake impacts. Hence, staying in top floor of a high-rise building is practically safer than to be in the open street among the stampede of fear-stricken people. Tall buildings offer maximum security from an earthquake jolt if the areas do not fall in the epicenter of extremely powerful earthquake. Hence, the residents of top floor of a high-rise building need not to worry from the minor earthquake.
- Be calm – During an earthquake the one vital step to be taken to ensure your safety is to be calm. This may sound an impractical preventive measure, but patience is the defense mechanism necessary to reduce the enormity of fear-inducing hormone. Thus, it gives you ample courage to face the seismic activity (earthquake). Hence, stay indoors and stay put. Do not run in the state of desperation.
Indoor Safety Protect Measures To Survive:
- When inside the home, do not stand close to windows or doors. Never stand near bookcases, hanging objects, large and heavy furniture that could collapse under the impact of earthquake.
- Those confined to wheelchair are advised to lock the wheels and ensure safety of their head and neck using pillow or soft-thick stuffs.
- Do not leave gas cylinder or stove open, switch off them. Also, turn off all the electricity-running gazettes like PC, TV etc. until the earthquake stops.
- Do not stand and run, as there is always chance of falling on the ground (considering the sway of the building during an earthquake). Just drop on the floor with both knees and hands on the ground. Snug yourself under a sturdy table and stay put.
Under no circumstance you are to use ELEVATOR during an earthquake. Stay indoors and follow the preventive measures jotted down above.
What should you do after an earthquake?
- Earthquake leaves aftershock experienced by the victims. It is natural of you to experience such an upshot after the earthquake is gone. You are advised to prepare for the aftershocks.
- It is a wise idea to get updated with latest news streaming from television or from your Smartphone’s FM.
- If your home on top floor has sustained structural damage (crack) or any minor/severe hazards, check the severity of the damage. If the home doesn’t feel safe, better leave it for a while.
- Do not let electric appliances be plugged-in into the power sockets even though the power is restored in your area. The reason behind this recommendation is to prevent any unforeseeable fire eruption due to broken power socket or damaged live wire etc caused by the earthquake.
High-rise buildings can sustain minor earthquake because of their robust construction in accordance with earthquake safety norms. The feature of earthquake resistance is what makes these buildings safer place to be in. Hopefully, the tips mentioned will serve your needs and you’d be able to better secure yourself during an earthquake.